Saturday, May 13, 2006

My first day of work

So today was my first day of work at Disney as a Lifeguard. BOYYYY was I in for a surprise. I guess because I've been raised in a home where I was taught not to swear, or smoke or drink or anything stupid like that could hurt my body, I was oblivious to the fact that everyone else in the world does it! I was in shock when I heard the person training me start cursing every other world in their conversation with me. I was in such shock that I guess they noticed it and asked me what was wrong. I told them that cursing bothered me and that just made him laugh at me. I mean I've heard people swear before, but not like this, this was just ridiculous. I just sat their in silence for a while until he asked if I was "religious or something." I told him about Christ and what I believed-- which just made him laugh at me more. Later he was telling me about how he goes out and parties every night and gets drunk and I just sat there in shock listening to all the stories he was telling me. When I didn't say anything back to him he said in a thick Columbian accent "oh I forgot you were religious." This went on all day long and he was asking me questions that really offended me in a lot of different ways. I can't even begin to explain how weird I felt as he was saying all of this stuff to me. There are so many things he told me about himself that made me extremely uncomfortable. He kept telling me that I didn't talk at all, but all of you that know me, know that I talk ALOT! Kind of like now, even though I'm not really talking, just typing. I'm just glad I have God on my side, because with out Him, I wouldn't have made it through the day.


Praise be to the Lord, for he has heard my cry for mercy. The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.
Psalm 28:6, 7

2 comments:

Bethany said...

Love the picture Kori!

And do you have to work with this guy long? I'll be praying for you! Stand strong for Jesus -- it sounds like you handled it well.

Lookin' forward to seeing you soon!

Bethany said...

Thanks for the post, Kori. Wow - it sounds like you had quite the experience. You chose a good verse to go along with your thoughts. We'll be prayin' for you as you are a light for the Lord -- and for your training to be over soon!

We can't wait to see you in Nebraska. We've learned some new games we're looking forward to playing with you -- and of course, just hanging out! God bless you!!!

"And whatever you do, do it heartily, as the the Lord and not to men." Colossians 3:23